Monday, January 24, 2011

First scones

I happen to be head over heels with scones.  I live the biscuit quality they have while incorporating more intriguing flavors like a muffin.
 
I knew I wanted something with blueberries and the two over-ripe bananas on my cabinet.  I set out in search of a muffin recipe.  Then I was tempted by a scone recipe.  Torn and too tired to make a decision between the two, I went with both, naturally.

Blueberry banana scone
(Inspired by Mama Pea)

2 beyond-ripe bananas
1/4 c plus 1 T milk (I used Good Karma's Whole Grain Unsweetened Rice Milk)
1/2 t apple cider vinegar
1/2 t baking soda
1 t vanilla extract
2 c whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 c sugar
1/4 c brown sugar
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t cream of tartar
1/2 t fine sea salt
1/2 c vegan shortening (I used Earth Balance Shortening Sticks)
1/2 c blueberries

As with Mama Pea's pumpkin version, combine the first 5 ingredients and set aside.  I added the vanilla since I left out all of the pumpkin pie-type spices.


In a larger bowl, add flour through sea salt and stir well.


Then add shortening, cut into small bits.  I used a cheese grater.  WAY easier than trying to cut that slick stuff with a knife!



Add the shortening to the flour mixture and cut it in with two forks (I have a pastry cutter coming in my next
Pampered Chef order!).


Once crumbly, I added the banana and milk mixture to the flour and folded it in.  This is where I discovered that a half cup of milk is just a tad shy.  I needed an extra tablespoon for the mixture to form a ball.


At this point, I added my blueberries and folded them in by hand.  I didn't want to crush the little blue beauties.


This meant I couldn't roll my dough out.  I'd have squashed every single berry.  So, instead, I scooped them out like cookies.  What....you've seen round scones before, right?  Okay....so the shape is less than typical, but I will say that it made getting them out of the bowl and into the oven way faster and easier.


20 minutes later.....golden tops and soft insides.  The blueberries burst with every bite.  Tender and delicious.  Quite the winner!


Do you have a favorite scone?  Mine is this one the bakery at Scarborough Faire makes with candied ginger!

1 comment:

  1. I have only in recent years grown to love scones. The first time I tried one as a kid I was expecting it to be sweet like a muffin and therefore was totally turned off by the flavor. But now that I love less sweet foods, scones have really become enjoyable! I love pumpkin walnut scones mmmmmmmm :)

    ReplyDelete