Thursday, January 20, 2011

Challenge accepted

I was issued a bit of a challenge by one little PurpleBird regarding kale and nutritional yeast.  I've never had either.  She basically told me to stop being a chicken and eat the darn stuff!  And well, that's exactly what I did.

I went on a hunt for a baked kale chip recipe and the first one that popped up was Smitten Kitchen's version.  Well, that blog makes me drool so I didn't bother to look any further. 

I used her method, but added some flare of my own. 

Spicy sesame kale chips
3 large leaves of kale
1/2 teaspoon of sesame oil
1 teaspoon of olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
sprinkling of smoked hot pakrika


Tossed together and baked for 18 minutes at 300.


The verdict?  Well the smell is unique.  Green and stinky akin brussel sprouts.  The kale will literally shatter it's so crisp.  The flavor though, hmm, yeah......I have to be honest.  I don't like it.  I gave a piece to my husband, he wrinkled his entire face and loudly proclaimed "Eeeewwwwww!!!" and gave the other half of the piece back.  I'll be trying them again after they've cooled to see if that makes all the difference.


I feel like a bad blogger.  I'm supposed to love these, right?  ;)  Maybe I'd like it better if I did the hummus trick that Christin does? 

1 comment:

  1. Oh no! hahahaha I'm sorry you don't like them! The hummus coating really makes it for me (or soaked cashews ground up in a food processor, but I like the hummus a bit better because it's less heavy), and I'd be interested to see if that worked in the oven. It seems to me like the hummus would stay wet. I may have to make you a batch and send them to you, so you can test out the version I'm so proud of! :)

    ReplyDelete